My Food Allergy Friends makes it simple to start a conversation about food allergies with your child with our Online Kids Allergy Program - Part 1.
Discovering your child has food allergies can feel overwhelming but you are not alone. We understand the challenges of bringing up a child with life-threatening allergies and we are here to help.
It’s vital that your child understands what having food allergies means and is confident at each development stage in their journey. We have you covered with our children’s book series and education resources. Learning about allergies needs to be fun, engage children, and get them involved in becoming Food Allergy SMART.
Join Thai on his adventures, part 1 includes the first book in the allergy series. It's a fun story, showing how to handle food allergies at birthday parties.
Your child can listen to the video book again and again. Then you can use our parent resource sheets to help further discussions with your child as well as try out all the craft and activities to make learning fun!
In part 1 of the online series we cover:
What children are learning
- We look at different allergens
- We learn to recognise allergens
- How to keep yourself safe
- Ways to become Food Allergy Smart
- Teaching friends about allergies
- Food allergies don't stop you having fun
- The importance of carrying your EpiPens with you
- Others peoples food can make us sick
- Helps develop skills to handle social situations
- The importance of checking food labels
- Why you must speak up if you feel unwell
- How your friends and family can keep you safe
The loveable book character Thai is a highly relatable little boy. He has severe allergies to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, shellfish, and milk. Thai’s positive attitude shows other children how food allergies don’t have to stop you from joining in and having fun. Thai is confident and educates his friends, family, and classmates on the importance of not sharing food and drinks, and hand-washing with soap and water after eating.
With the quirky Rabbie by Thai’s side, follow them in their adventures as they help to educate children around the world about food allergies.
Here is why it's vital to teach allergy awareness to your child...
- Normalises allergies
- Creates food allergy awareness and understanding
- Creates a safer environment and keeps them safe
- Your child and their siblings learn how to recognise an allergic reaction and know how to get help
- Learning about allergies will keep them safe and could save their life
- Helps your child to develop skills to handle social situations and peer pressure
Jackie Nevard is the founder of My Food Allergy Friends, Jackie’s son Thai has multiple food allergies and after realising the need for allergy education Jackie launched My Food Allergy Friends.
She has produced six books in her educational allergy series, a string of educational resources, the Food Allergy SMART Program and her very popular allergy awareness sessions around Australia and now New Zealand.
Frequently Asked Questions
Knowledge is Power
" The series is such a valuable resource for food allergy parents. I know with my child we read your first book many times over. I think it’s such a scary condition to come to terms with, for a child reading books can really help emotionally. Now he is a little older he reads the books to me!"