The Food Allergy SMART Program is the first Online Program for schools. The program is aimed at students in foundation to grade 3, however it can be adapted to be used throughout all grades in primary school.
The program will provide students with basic knowledge about allergies and create allergy awareness among all students. It is split up into 6 modules which can be done all at once with four short interactive videos explaining:
- What is an allergy?
- We look at common allergens.
- The top 9 food allergens
- Ways to be Food Allergy SMART
- What is an allergic reaction?
- Introduction of an EpiPen
There are also extra activities teachers can use such as work sheets, craft and cooking ideas. Newsletter information and common questions asked.
Here is why allergy awareness is vital within schools...
- Reduces bullying as children are aware of the seriousness of allergies
- Normalises allergies
- Creates food allergy awareness and understanding
- Creates a safer environment
- Students learn how to recognise an allergic reaction and know how to get help
Jackie Nevard is the founder of My Food Allergy Friends, Jackie’s son Thai has multiple food allergies and after realising the need for allergy education Jackie launched My Food Allergy Friends.
She has produced six books in her educational allergy series, a string of educational resources, the Food Allergy SMART Program and her very popular allergy awareness sessions around Australia and now New Zealand.